Composting at Agnes Scott
Why does ASC compost?
• Landfills produce Methane (CH4) which is a greenhouse gas that remains in the atmosphere for approximately 9-15 years. Methane is over 20 times more effective in trapping heat in the atmosphere than carbon dioxide (CO2) over a 100-year period.
• 70% of landfills are in low-income and minority communities
• Landfills pollute the air, land and water causing health issues, eliminate green space, reduce property value, and impact quality of life.
What does ASC compost?
• Fruits, vegetables and plant matter
• Meat, fish, bones and tofu
• Pizza, pasta, grains, bread and fries
• Tea bags and coffee, dairy products
• Waxed paper products
• Used paper plates and napkins
How do you fit into composting at ASC?
• Make a difference and be sure to compost in Evans dining hall, Mollies snack bar and Blackcat Café.
• The Eco Theme House has their own compost bin for use in the adjacent garden.
• Composting is available at most events on campus, so be sure to look for bins.
ASC composting recognition
• In 2010 Agnes Scott ranked #11 nationally and #1 in Georgia for composting during the national RecycleMania contest.
• Composting has helped us reach a 73% diversion waste, up from 65% in 2011, and 24% in 2008.