Staff Personal Leave without Pay

The granting of an unpaid leave of absence for reasons not expressly stated elsewhere in this handbook, such as FMLA, is at the sole discretion of the College. The employee must have completed one year of continuous service in order to request such a leave. The College cannot guarantee that an employee who goes on unpaid leave will be returned to his/her former position or its equivalent. Failure to return when leave expires will be considered automatic voluntary resignation from employment.

Requests for unpaid personal leave must be submitted in writing to the employee's supervisor. The length of the leave and reason must be stated. Any leave granted will be limited to an initial leave not to exceed three months. In exceptional circumstances, longer leaves without pay may be approved, such as a leave for an honorific appointment for public service. An employee may then request an extension of the leave by submitting to the division vice president and the human resources director another written request for an extension stating the length of and the reason for the extended leave request. Once an employee receives initial approval, a Request for Leave of Absence form must be completed by the employee and signed by the employee's supervisor. Completed forms must be submitted to the Office of Human Resources.

All accrued vacation or personal time must be used prior to the start of an unpaid personal leave of absence.

While on unpaid personal leave employees are responsible for the full premium (both the employee and the college portion) payment for benefits they were enrolled in as of the initial date of that unpaid leave.

Employees will not accrue paid sick leave, vacation or personal time while on unpaid personal leave.

Policy No.  683  Issued  3/1/2012