When to Consult CGL

To avoid getting into legal problems, make sure you consult with the international student adviser before:
  • Lowering your course load or quitting school
  • Changing your major or program of studies from what is listed on your I-20
  • Planning on not taking classes during a fall or spring semester
  • Your I-20 or DS-2019 expires prior to you completing your degree objective (i.e. program)
  • Traveling outside of the United States (even for a short period)
  • Looking for work off-campus
  • Transferring to another school
  • Changing your visa classification or U.S. immigration status
Situations where the international student adviser can offer advice:
  • You are unsure of your student visa requirements.
  • You have not maintained your F-1 or J-1 status (i.e. you are out of status).
  • You are experiencing difficulties with your studies.
  • During your (or your family’s) last entrance to the United States, an official at the port of entry made an error on your documents or gave you an immigration form to file (most likely form I-515A).
  • You are not sure what employment options or restrictions you have on your student visa.
  • You are experiencing unforeseen financial difficulties arising after you last entered the United States
  • You are facing a problem with the university/department or your living arrangements and do not know who can help.
  • You or your family members are unclear about the process involved in applying for a U.S. visa.
  • You have relied on your friend(s) for immigration information/advice and now want confirmation of your status.
  • You are making plans that you think may have immigration implications.