MARTA Trains and Buses
Metro Atlanta Rapid Transport Authority (MARTA) is Atlanta’s network of trains and buses. Schedules and passes can be obtained at any MARTA station through the Breeze Vending Machines; RideStores are also at the Airport and Five Points stations. The closest rail station to Agnes Scott is the Decatur station on Church Street, a short walk from campus. The basic fare for riding MARTA is $2.50 one way. Fare is available either on a Breeze Ticket or a Breeze Card. A $1.00 surcharge will be added to the purchase of a new Breeze Ticket and $2.00 to the purchase of a Breeze Card. A Breeze Ticket can only be used once, but a Breeze Card is rechargeable. To save money, you can buy a 7-day pass or a 30-day pass, depending on how often you use MARTA. The MARTA trains run from 5:00am to 1:00am on weekdays and 12:20am on weekends and holidays. If you have any questions about where to get off or which bus to take, the drivers are willing to assist you.

To find routes, either view our Popular Destinations Guide or visit MARTA's website and click the station link in the map.

TIP: Emory University has many events you may want to attend. To get there, or others places around the city, take the FREE Cliff Shuttle from the Decatur MARTA station. 

Taxicabs may be an alternative mode of transportation for you in special circumstances, but are quite expensive. Decatur’s Best, (404) 289-6603, and Yellow Cab Taxi Service, (404) 371-0776, are two commonly used local companies. It is common courtesy to tip the cabdriver; a dollar or two is sufficient depending on the length of the ride.

Driving in the U.S.
The Georgia Department of Driver Services is the official source for information on driving in Georgia. From its website: "Georgia recognizes valid driver licenses issued to and held by residents of other countries as long as the ‘Out Of Country’ license is valid (not expired). Generally, you may drive in Georgia for up to one year on a valid foreign or International license."  If you drive a car without a license or insurance, you are breaking the law.

If you choose to apply for a Georgia driver's license, you must present the following documents, in English: passport with I-94 card; immigration documents (I-20 or DS-2019); Social Security card or proof that you are ineligible for a SSN (SSAL-676); and proof of residency (a bank statement or phone bill to prove your local address). You must also bring your current license (home country or international); it will be returned to all non-U.S. citizens (U.S. citizens must surrender any foreign licenses in order to obtain a Georgia license).Remember to use your name and date of birth as it appears on your passport when applying for your driver's license. 

Find the phone numbers and locations of the different licensing units at or by calling (678) 413-8400.  

Owning a Car
Cars are expensive to buy, repair and maintain.  You must pay for fuel, parking, and mandatory automobile insurance. Liability insurance is the minimum insurance required by Georgia law. It protects you if your car kills or injures someone else, or damages someone else's property. Collision insurance protects your car in case of collision with another car, and comprehensive insurance covers losses caused by storms, thieves and vandals. If you purchase a car in Georgia, you must register the vehicle in the county in which you live. Vehicle registration requires possession of a valid Georgia driver’s license or state identification card.

Renting a Car
If you rent a car you should purchase the insurance offered by the rental company. Most rental car companies require the renter to be 25 years of age of older. Many will also rent to those younger than 25, but with restrictions and fees.

Zipcar offers an easier way to "rent" cars for anyone who is 21 or older. After applying and being accepted, you will receive a Zipcard and can reserve Zipcars, which are parked in designated areas all over town, anytime you want. Two Zipcars are kept at the S Loop on campus. There are different payment plans depending on how often you plan to drive. If you have a driver’s license from your home country, but not from the U.S., read this.   

Getting Out of Town

Buses and Trains:
Greyhound bus system
Amtrak rail

STA Travel 

Student Universe
Bing Travel
Cheap Tickets