Step 1

❏ Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee

All nonimmigrant/international students (F-1 status) and exchange students (J-1 status) applying for U.S. student visas are required to pay a nonrefundable fee for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) BEFORE visiting the U.S. Consulate or Embassy to apply for a student visa. The fee (as of April 5, 2017) is US $200. Check that the fee has not changed before you pay.  Below are ways students can make the payment. More details on the SEVIS fee regulations can be found on the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's website.

 How to Pay for Your SEVIS Fee


Western Union 

  1. Go to: (Make sure you have your I-20 – or DS-2019 for exchange visitors – in hand because you will need information contained on it.
  2. Fill out Form I-901 online
  3. Pay using a credit card (American Express, MasterCard, or VISA) or a debit card with the VISA or MasterCard logo. It is also possible to  have a friend or family member pay the fee with their card
  4. Print out a receipt and then contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to make an appointment for your student visa interview. You will need your receipt to make an appointment at the U.S. Consulate and to enter the United States when you arrive.
  5. Keep your receipt!

Students in the 130 countries that have Western Union offices may use those offices to pay the US $200 fee with Western Union's "Quick Pay."

The U.S. government allows Western Union to collect the fee, in local currency, along with Form I-901 data and electronically transmit the payment and data to the U.S. government.

The properly completed Western Union receipt serves as immediate proof-of-payment for a visa interview at a U.S. consulate. The receipt is very important!

You will need it to make an appointment at the U.S. Consulate and to enter the United States when you arrive. 

Step 2

❏ Visiting the U.S. Consulate  

Make an appointment for an F-1 or J-1 student visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate AFTER paying the SEVIS fee. You will need to provide the receipt of payment when booking an appointment.  Below are a list of documents required during your visit to the U.S. Embassy. Visit the U.S. Department of State to locate a consulate and to get a more comprehensive list of your required documents.

  1. Immigration document: I-20 (for F-1)or DS-2010 (for J-1)
  2. College admission and scholarship letter for F-1 students **
  3. Proof of financial support and eligibility
    1. Original documents that demonstrate one academic year’s worth of finances as indicated on your I-20.
    2. You may be asked for these financial documents during inspection at the U.S. port of entry

Click here to read more about the Revisions to the U.S. Executive order on Visas (as of 26 June 2018).
Click here for general news about US Visa News.