**Please see our main Wellness Center page for updates in response to COVID-19, as well as an updated FAQ resource.**


Who is eligible for counseling services?

  • All currently enrolled undergraduate, graduate, and post-bacc students are eligible for services.

Why do students come to counseling?

  • Students use counseling services for a wide variety of concerns including managing relationships, coping with stress and/or anxiety, life transitions, depressive symptoms, handling a crisis, identity development, sexual assault and relationship violence, self-esteem concerns, dealing with alcohol and/or drug concerns, and many more.

How much do services cost?

  • There is no charge to students for on-campus counseling or psychiatric services. However, due to CAPS model of care and the large volume of requests for services, not all students can be seen regularly by an on-campus therapist, and therefore referrals are often made to off-campus providers. Students who use their insurance may be responsible for co-pays and deductibles when referred for off-campus mental health services. 
  • There is also no charge to students for student health visits. If labs or prescriptions are needed, there may be associated fees/copays for those services.

How can I make an appointment?

  • Students who need to complete an Initial Assessment with a CAPS counselor can self-schedule on the Patient Portal. Returning students who have completed an Initial Assessment for the academic year and/or were assigned a CAPS counselor, can email their counselor directly, or email the caps@agnesscott.edu email to schedule an appointment.

What are your hours?

  • We are open Monday-Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm; we have extended hours on Thursdays until 7pm by appointment only. Limited hours and available services during the months of June and July. We are closed on all holidays observed by the college.

Who has access to counseling records?

  • The confidentiality of all communications between a client and their mental health professional (and treatment records of that communication) are protected by law. Information can only be released with a student’s written permission. However, there are a few exceptions that are covered in detail in our informed consent form which will be reviewed at the first appointment. 

Are parents or guardians notified if I seek counseling?

  • CAPS adheres to the American Psychological Association's code of conduct and ethical principles as well as Georgia state law on this matter. In Georgia, the confidential relations and communications between a licensed mental health clinician and client are the same as those provided by law between attorney and client. There are some exceptions to this which are detailed in our informed consent form. We may involve a student’s parents with the student’s permission when it seems important to treatment. Decisions regarding parental involvement in cases of emergency are decided on a case by case basis. Parents must provide their written consent to allow students under age 18 to be seen for counseling.

What should students do in the case of an emergency?

  • During regular business hours, students may walk-in or call the Wellness Center at 404-471-7100. After hours, individuals experiencing mental health emergencies should call ASC Public Safety at 404-471-6400, or the following emergency resources:
    • GA Crisis and Access Line: 1-800-715-4225 
    • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 
    • Trevor Project: 1-800-488-7386 
    • Trans Lifeline: 1-877-565-8860
    • Crisis Text Line: 741741 
    • Day League: 404-377-1428

What is counseling and are there any risks?

  • Different mental health practitioners have different approaches to counseling but, in general, counseling is a collaborative, confidential process designed to help individuals address their concerns, come to a greater understanding of themselves and learn effective personal and interpersonal coping strategies. It involves a confidential relationship between an individual and a trained therapist. 

    Because counseling often involves sharing sensitive, personal and private information, it may at times feel difficult or challenging. During the course of counseling, there may be periods of increased anxiety or confusion. The outcome of counseling is often positive; however, the level of satisfaction for any individual is not predictable. 

What is the typical length of treatment?

  • Frequency of counseling sessions depends on the needs of the student but can range from weekly to bi-weekly to monthly, and are 45-50 minutes long. During the initial assessment, a counselor will determine the most appropriate treatment option (i.e. short-term, on-campus counseling or referral to off-campus services). On-campus counseling is short-term and often goal-oriented and solution-focused.

 What services are you unable to provide?

  • There are some mental health-related services that we are unable to provide (e.g., learning disability assessment, long-term psychotherapy, EMDR). If one of these services are required, we will help with the referral process. Please be aware that these services generally involve a fee. In some cases, health insurance may cover some of the costs. Our services are limited during the summer break and other college holidays. Our staff are happy to assist with making referrals as necessary.

Do you offer psychiatric services?

  • Dr. Michael Conley is our psychiatrist on staff. He has limited hours and is available by appointment only. An intake appointment with a counselor is typically required before meeting with the psychiatrist, unless you are a pre-existing client of his. A pre-existing client can email caps@agnesscott.edu to schedule a follow-up appointment. There is no charge for these services, however, you are responsible for the cost of any medications prescribed. There is also a no-show fee of $100 for intake appointments, and $50 for follow-up appointments.