Missing Person PolicyThe purpose of this policy is to establish procedures for Agnes Scott College, to respond to and assist with reports of missing students as required under the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008. This policy applies to students who reside on campus and are deemed missing or absent from the college for a period of more than 24 hours without any known reason or which may be contrary to usual patterns of behavior.
Designation of Emergency Contact Information 1. Students age 18 and above and emancipated minors: Students will be given an opportunity during the annual registration process to designate an individual to be contacted by the college no more than 24 hours after the time that the student is determined to be missing. The designation will remain in effect until changed or revoked by the student. 2. Students under the age of 18: If a student under the age of 18 is determined to be missing, the college is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian no more than 24 hours after the student is determined to be missing.
- Any report of a missing student should be directed to the Department of Public Safety (404 471-6400) immediately. An investigation will be initiated to determine the validity and credibility of the missing person.
- If a report of a missing student is made to Residence Life, a staff member will immediately contact and work with Public Safety. Cooperative efforts may include:
- Conducting a health and wellness check on the resident
- Attempt to make contact via cellular phone, email, or other means
- Determine activity of card access(if applicable), meal plan usage, class attendance
- Identify other students who may be aware of the missing student‘s whereabouts (i.e. roommate(s), friends, classmates, etc.).
- The Department of Public Safety with assistance of the Residence Life office will investigate and gather information about the missing student from the reporting person and other individuals who may provide information that will assist with the investigation.
- No later than 24 hours after determining that an Agnes Scott resident is missing, the Dean of Students or designee will notify the individual identified by the missing students as the emergency contact (for students 18 and above and emancipated minors) or the parent/guardian (for students under the age of 18 and not emancipated) that the student resident is believed to be missing.
- If search efforts are unsuccessful in locating the student in a reasonable amount of time the Department of Public Safety conduct a full investigation collaborating with local low enforcement agencies and utilizing all resources available.