About the LibraryAwards, Employment, and Internships
Discover employment opportunities and how McCain Library supports Agnes Scott students interested in library related careers.
Directions & Stack Guide
Learn how to get to the library and find your way around the building.
Donations & Gifts
Read about the types of gifts and donations that help McCain Library meet the research needs of of students, faculty, and staff.
Find out when McCain Library is open this semester.
Review McCain Library's mission statement.
Policies & Fines
Learn how long a book may be checked out, how to pay a fine, what kind of food is acceptable in the library, and other polices related to using the library.
See a list of library phone numbers and a full staff list.
History of McCain Library
1910 - The Andrew Carnegie Library was the college's first library building. A gift of Mr. Carnegie, it was on the southeast corner of the main quad. That building was demolished in 1986, having served first as library then as a student center ("the Hub") after the new library was constructed.
1935 - In May, 1935, the college Board of Trustees authorized construction of a new library.
1936 - The new library opened in the fall of 1936. Still called the Carnegie Library, it consisted of 4 main floors, a grand reading room, and an attached "stack tower" of 7 floors.
1951 - The library was renamed for James Ross McCain, on the occasion of his retirement as the 2nd President of the College.
1974-1977 - The first major renovations of the library building were done over the course of four summers, leaving the library open during the academic year. This renovation included air-conditioning, a new stairway, a larger elevator, reading platforms in the main reading room, and improvements to the Board of Trustees meeting room, special collections, and archives.
1999-2000 - The library building was closed for a complete renovation from June 1999 through December 2000. The 1936 stack tower was torn down. The rest of the old building was upgraded, and new stacks along with new reading, study, instruction, and technology areas were added. During the renovation, the library operated out of a temporary "trailer" facility in Rebekah parking lot which housed the main circulation desk, reference, current periodicals, and staff offices, and a warehouse on the south side of campus which housed the main book collection.
2001 - The newly renovated McCain Library opened in January 2001, in time for the beginning of spring semester.