Residential Computing Consultant Information
Residence Hall Computing Consultant
This student position provides peer technology support for students living in residence halls. Individuals in this position will support and assist resident students with connecting and configuring their computers for the campus network, learning to use basic computer network tools (email, web browsing, etc.), becoming familiar with campus computing resources, and learning and using campus and worldwide academic resources available electronically. Position reports to the User Services Manager.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist students with connecting personal computers to the internet via wireless or ethernet;
- Assist students with learning to use basic network tools (email clients, web browsers, etc.);
- Notify IT about residence hall networking problems
- Perform basic troubleshooting of student computer/network problems and make appropriate referrals;
- Publish IT announcements as they relate to residence hall networking or student networking
- Be a resource for students with regards to campus computing and network resources
- Demonstrated basic knowledge of and ability to use personal computers and Windows and/or MacOS X
- Availability to move into the residence halls one week prior to the arrival of new and returning, to participate in full-time training activities to assist students on a flexible, part-time basis during the residence hall opening and to assist students as needed throughout the remainder of the academic year.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Intermediate to advanced experience with both Windows and/or Macintosh platforms.
- Intermediate to advanced experience with basic network tools and the Internet.
Qualified for federal work-study financial aid.