During the 2014-2015 academic year, Agnes Scott College embarked on a yearlong strategic planning process to create a new strategic plan for 2020. The Strategic Planning Advisory Council was charged with developing a new plan to guide college decision-making over the next five years. Through a consultative process, the Strategic Planning Advisory Council solicited feedback on plan drafts from various college constituencies, including faculty, staff, students, trustees, alumnae and parents. The resulting plan for 2020, Leading in a Global Society: Agnes Scott Reinvents the Liberal Arts for the 21st Century, builds on the previous plan, Engaging a Wider World: The Agnes Scott Strategic Plan for 2014, incorporates the college's curricular and co-curricular initiative SUMMIT and integrates strategic and long-term financial planning. The plan was approved by the Board of Trustees in October 2015.
Leading in a Global Society:
Agnes Scott Reinvents the Liberal Arts for the 21st Century
AGNES SCOTT COLLEGE educates women to think deeply, live honorably and engage the intellectual and social challenges of their times.
AGNES SCOTT COLLEGE re-imagines a liberal arts education for the 21st century and becomes, and is recognized as, the best college for educating women to be ethical leaders in a global society.
For 125 years, Agnes Scott College has inspired and empowered women by providing a liberal education “abreast of the best institutions of the country.” Today, we renew that commitment, charting a course for institutional growth, strength and vitality through curricular innovation, programmatic expansion and sound management of resources.
At the heart of Leading in a Global Society is Agnes Scott’s unique initiative SUMMIT, which reinvents a liberal education for the 21st century by preparing every student to be an effective change agent in a global society. SUMMIT provides every undergraduate with a core curriculum focused on global learning and leadership development. Students benefit from the guidance of a personal Board of Advisors and integrate their learning through a digital portfolio. SUMMIT’s combination of academic study and immersive experiences enables students to develop their leadership abilities and understanding of complex global dynamics.
Developed on the basis of a rigorous market study, SUMMIT is designed to make Agnes Scott a more compelling choice for today’s students. It renews and magnifies the college’s core mission, offering a distinctive college experience grounded in the liberal arts, which cultivates thoughtful global citizenship and inspires our graduates to become strong leaders helping to build a better world.
Agnes Scott also commits to Leading in a Global Society by expanding our educational programs to serve new student populations, leveraging the college’s intellectual, physical and technological resources and the opportunities provided by the dynamic global city on our doorstep to launch new graduate and extended programs and strategic alliances.
Through these efforts, we will attract new students, new resources and partnerships, and strengthen Agnes Scott’s reputation for educational excellence.
1. CREATE A DISTINCTIVE EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE THAT MEETS THE NEEDS OF 21ST CENTURY STUDENTS AND PREPARES THEM TO LEAD IN A GLOBAL SOCIETY
- Implement SUMMIT, Agnes Scott’s innovative curricular, experiential and co-curricular focus on global learning and leadership development for every student
- Offer a high-quality, dynamic, relevant and interdisciplinary liberal arts curriculum
- Prepare students for post-graduate success
- Strengthen the college's commitment to diversity and inclusive excellence
- Create a vibrant campus that enhances and enlivens the student experience outside the classroom and contributes to student success
- Expand the college’s footprint and enhance its reputation as a center for lifelong learning through Graduate and Extended Programs and Strategic Alliances
2. BUILD AGNES SCOTT’S REPUTATION WITH KEY AUDIENCES AS THE BEST COLLEGE FOR EDUCATING WOMEN TO LEAD IN A GLOBAL SOCIETY
- Launch a marketing and public relations campaign to build awareness of and support for SUMMIT
- Build Agnes Scott’s reputation with key local, national and global audiences
3. CREATE A SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS MODEL THAT ENSURES THE COLLEGE’S CONTINUED VITALITY
- Increase undergraduate enrollment and net revenue
- Diversify the college’s revenue streams through Graduate and Extended Programs
- Strengthen and expand the college's philanthropic support
- Exercise strong financial resource management and stewardship
- Attract and retain an exceptional faculty and staff and support their well-being and professional development
- Become a regional and national model of climate leadership and environmental sustainability
- Enhance the quality of the college’s physical and technological infrastructure