Office of Sponsored Programs
Holder Fund for Faculty Innovation
The Holder fund was created “to promote innovative forms of faculty development and renewal that simultaneously enable Agnes Scott College to retain outstanding teacher-scholars and enhance the scholarship and teaching of faculty who receive support from it.” Income from this endowed fund will support “various forms of faculty innovation that require travel, research assistance, reassigned time from teaching, specialized equipment, and access to archival and other scholarly materials. It is the donor’s intent that these awards be used to supplement other available resources for faculty development and innovation.” In other words, they will be given in addition to other professional development support, such as travel awards provided by the Office of Academic Affairs, and awards recommended by the Faculty Professional Development Committee.
Recipients, who must be tenure-track or tenured faculty members, will be selected through a competitive process in which applications are reviewed by a committee chaired by the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College, with the following members: two tenured or tenure-track faculty who will be appointed by the President, the Vice President for College Advancement, and Beth Holder ‘82.
The application deadline is 5:00 p.m. (Atlanta time) on February 1st (or the first business day after February 1st) each year and will award funds to be spent between August 16th of the current calendar year and August 15th of the following calendar year. A final report will be due by September 30th.
A total of $20,000 is available, with awards up to $5,000 each. Please note that whenever possible, “at least one award will be made to a tenure-track faculty member for a project that will advance her or his scholarship and teaching in preparation for tenure review. At least one award will be made to a tenured faculty member for a project that will advance his or her scholarship and professional development in ways that benefit the faculty member and students in one or more of the following areas:
- the proposed project expands the curriculum;
- the proposed project contributes to scholarship and professional growth;
- the proposed project involves collecting materials or purchasing specialized equipment that will directly affect the learning experience of Agnes Scott students;
- the proposed project involves collaborative research with colleagues at other institutions or with Agnes Scott students;
- and/or the proposed project involves other activities that will ultimately enhance the curriculum and contribute to the learning experience of Agnes Scott students.
Criteria for selection will be determined by the committee, and will include consideration of intellectual promise, transformative potential, impact on students, and previous record of success.
Please send your application, budget, and CV by 5:00 p.m. on February 1st (or the first business day following February 1st, if the 1st falls on a weekend or holiday) as email attachments in .PDF format to OSP@agnesscott.edu. Your proposal should consist of three attachments:
- A two-page essay describing the project. Label the file, “Holder-YourLastName-Application.pdf”
- A one-page budget, including justification for each item listed. Label the file, “Holder-YourLastName-Budget.pdf”
- A curriculum vitae. Label the file, “Holder-YourLastName-CV.pdf”
Special Holder Faculty Innovation Award
The Holder gift agreement includes the following statement: “Because opportunities for faculty innovation and development can and will arise outside of the annual process for selecting Holder Faculty Innovation Award recipients, $5,000 will be reserved for the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College on an annual basis in consultation with other members of the selection committee, to award to one or more faculty members. The recipients of these special Holder Awards will be those who present unique and sudden opportunities that have an immediate deadline and that hold promise of being professionally transformative.”
Proposals for a Special Holder Award should be sent as email attachments in .PDF format to email@example.com and should consist of three attachments:
- A two-page essay describing the project. Label the file, “HolderSpecial-YourLastName-Application.pdf”
- A one-page budget, including justification for each item listed. Label the file, “HolderSpecial-YourLastName-Budget.pdf”
- A curriculum vitae. Label the file, “HolderSpecial-YourLastName-CV.pdf”