- If you are making a PowerPoint presentation, you must save your file ahead of time in a special SpARC folder created on the student access network drive (see instructions below). You may NOT use email to pull up your presentation at the beginning of your time slot. Be sure to bring a backup on your flash drive.
- If you plan to transfer your PowerPoint to the SpARC network folder (see instructions below) and the file was created using Microsoft Office 2010, 2008, 2007 or Open Office, be sure to save the file as an Office 97-2003 version. This assures your PowerPoint presentation is compatible with the computers in your presentation room.
- The computers in the science building only read .ppt files, not .pptx or .odp files.
- If you have multimedia (audio, video or even large pictures and animation), check your presentation in advance on the computer in your specified room. IMPORTANT! All audio, video and pictures must be saved in your SpARC folder along with your PowerPoint presentation.
- If you need assistance putting together your multimedia project or inserting video, you can make an appointment with Calvin Burgamy (x6059) in the Technology Production Studio (McCain Library, G-43).
- You may also connect your personal laptop to the presentation system in the room. If you have a Mac you will need to bring a presentation adaptor or arrange for Media Services to include one in the room. This ensures efficiency on the day of the conference; any time that you must spend loading your file will cut into your presentation time.
How to Save Your Powerpoint Presentation in the SpARC Network Folder -- Mapping a Network Drive for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7:
- Right-click on My Network Places or My Computer
- Select Map Network Drive
- The Map Network Drive window will open. In the Drive: box there will be a letter (e.g., V:, X:, Y:, etc.) which indicates what drive letter you will be using. This can be changed as long as the letter you choose is not being used already. If it is being used, then you will see a drive mapping beside the letter (e.g., Y:\\Academic\Folder)
- In the Folder: box; enter the path to the Sparc network folder. The path to type is \\academic\public\studentaccess\SPARC2012. If this drive will be needed daily, check the box beside Reconnect at logon. Do not choose Reconnect at logon if you are using a computer in a Public or Resident Hall lab.
- Click Finish. A login prompt will appear. Enter your username with ASCNT in front of it (ex. ASCNT\twarren) and enter your password. The network drive should now open on your desktop. It will also be listed in My Computer as the drive letter it was assigned in step 3
- You will see a list of folders with titles for each group session; find the folder for your session (check the SpARC website for updates on rooms and times) and copy your PowerPoint file to that folder
***You are also advised to save and bring a copy of your presentation on a flash drive. This will serve as a back-up.***
How to Pull Up Your Powerpoint Presentation on SpARC Day:
Your group will login shortly before the session begins, and its SpARC folder will be pulled up on the designated Science Center classroom computer. Your PowerPoint file will then be readily accessible for you to use. PLEASE NOTE:
- You are strongly advised to run a practice session of your presentation from the file in this folder in advance of SpARC day in order to allow time for troubleshooting (check the SpARC website for updates on rooms and times).