Campus Lock-Down Proceedures
A "lockdown" is a form of “sheltering-in-place” that is a temporary technique utilized to limit human exposure to an apparent life-threatening, hostile or hazardous situation or threat. When a lockdown is declared by Campus Police, occupants of any building within the impacted area are to remain in their respective spaces locking all doors and windows, not allowing entry or exit to a secured area until the “all clear” confirmation has been given.
Individuals may be required to move to a safe location if they are immediately adjacent to the life-threatening or hazardous situation (e.g. shooter, bomb threat, etc.). In all cases, individuals must follow directions of Campus Police and appropriate law enforcement officials.
Examples of life-threatening or hazardous situations that may require a campus lockdown include, but is not limited to:
- Someone has a gun or weapon on campus or there is an active shooter or shots are heard on campus
- Serious crime that is actively occurring on campus (e.g.: homicide, hostage situation, aggravated assault, robbery with a deadly weapon, sexual assault, etc.)
- Serious crime committed in close proximity to the campus or a campus building (e.g.: homicide, hostage situation, aggravated assault, robbery with a deadly weapon, sexual assault, etc.)
Initiation of "Lockdown" Procedure
If the risk assessment determines the need to secure a building or buildings to protect the campus community and to prevent an escalation of the emergency, the Chief of the Agnes Scott Police Department or designee will give the order to "Lockdown" specific areas or the entire campus.
- Notice that a "Lockdown" has been issued will be broadcast over the college’s mass notification system or PIER and by other appropriate means.
All campus buildings are to be locked to prevent entrance from unauthorized persons.
- Follow instructions and try to remain calm;
- Close and lock all doors immediately and turn off lights, barricade doors if possible and take cover to protect yourself.
- Students in residence halls are to remain in their rooms with the door locked.
- Staff members are to remain in their offices, or a secure area, preferably without windows, with the door locked.
- Faculty members are to remain in their classroom or office with the doors locked or barricaded, where possible.