Agnes Scott College, in collaboration with the athletic department, is among a handful of colleges that has been awarded a NCAA CHOICES grant. This $30,000 grant, awarded over a three-year period, will allow Agnes Scott to provide campus-wide alcohol education initiatives.
Agnes Scott’s program, which will be called “Smart Women, Smarter Choices” (SWSC), is designed to incorporate alcohol education with creative and fun activities. The primary goal of SWSC is to educate students to make informed and responsible decisions about alcohol use.
Key objectives of the program are to:
- Expand the current alcohol prevention efforts and involve student-athletes more effectively as peer leaders in prevention efforts on campus
- Establish a sustainable program that provides educational and engaging programs to raise awareness about alcohol and substance abuse, particularly the effects of binge drinking
- Develop and implement alternative programs to irresponsible partying as well as methods and strategies for handling stress and coping due to the fact that stress and depression tend to be precursors for alcohol use
- Initiate a positive social norms campaign to exhibit the accurate percentage of non-drinking students and display that partying can be fun without alcohol
- Implement a structured and comprehensive system to improve the reporting and response of drug and alcohol related incidents
The program begins in the 2012-2013 school year with an online assessment sent to incoming students to gather baseline data on student drinking perceptions and behaviors, training of peer leaders and implementation of a new system for reporting and responding to drug and alcohol related incidents.
Elizabeth Douglass, student support coordinator in Agnes Scott’s Wellness Center, will serve as the program administrator and will work closely with the Center for Student Engagement, Residence Life and the Athletics Department in order to implement these campus-wide initiatives.
Agnes Scott College educates women to think deeply, live honorably and engage the intellectual and social challenges of their times. Students are drawn to Agnes Scott by its excellent academic reputation, exceptional faculty and metropolitan Atlanta location – offering myriad cultural and experiential learning opportunities. A diverse and growing residential community of scholars, this highly selective liberal arts and sciences college is known for its dynamic and challenging intellectual community. Encouraging students to engage the wider world through study abroad and presenting its curriculum with international context, Agnes Scott College delivers on its promise: The World. For Women.