Agnes Scott College, founded in 1889, has created a center devoted to preserving the long history of the college and its founders.
The Betty Pope Scott Noble College Heritage Center is a museum and research center displaying historical documents, photographs and artifacts relating to Agnes Scott (the person and the institution) and the Scott family. Housed in the college’s McCain Library, the heritage center allows the library to move archival treasures out of storage and into a more accessible space so that current and prospective students, faculty, staff, alumnae and other visitors may learn about the history of the college, its founder and namesake.
“We expect that with opening of this center, the archives will entice even more research visits and probes of the history of women’s education in this country and the South,” said Liz Bagley, director of McCain Library.
The Rev. J. Phillips Noble Sr. helped create the center in honor of his wife, the great-granddaughter of Col. George Washington Scott, founder of the college. The center pays tribute to Betty Pope Scott Noble’s lifelong interest in preserving the college’s heritage and to the many hours she spent researching and writing its history. A 1944 graduate in history and Bible, she is a trustee emerita of the college and recipient of the Alumnae Association’s Outstanding Alumna Award for service to the college. She is the author of two family memoirs: The Story of Agnes Irvine Scott, 1799-1877 and The Story of George Washington Scott, 1829-1903.
Betty Scott Noble, the Noble’s daughter and a 1971 graduate of Agnes Scott who teaches part time as an assistant professor of education, is a psychologist with a private practice in Atlanta. Their son, Phil Noble Jr. of Charleston, S.C., a former trustee of the college, is a political consultant and expert on the use of the Internet in the civic sector.
The heritage center was dedicated recently on the college’s Founder’s Day and the ribbon was cut with Col. Scott’s sword. Initially named Decatur Female Seminary in 1889 and renamed Agnes Scott Institute in 1890 after Col. Scott’s mother, Agnes Irvine Scott, the college was chartered as Agnes Scott College in 1906 and was the first institution of higher education in Georgia to receive regional accreditation.
Agnes Scott College educates women to think deeply, live honorably and engage the intellectual and social challenges of their times. Students are drawn to Agnes Scott by its excellent academic reputation, exceptional faculty and metropolitan Atlanta location – offering myriad cultural and experiential learning opportunities. A diverse and growing residential community of scholars, this highly selective liberal arts and sciences college is known for its dynamic and challenging intellectual community. Encouraging students to engage the wider world through study abroad and presenting its curriculum with international context, Agnes Scott College delivers on its promise: The World. For Women.