ASC Google Apps - Best Practices
When will Google Drive be turned on?
Gmail - Message Management - Labels and Deleting Messages
Gmail - Message Management – Spam Label
Are you missing emails? Be sure to check your Gmail spam label for these email messages. Gmail hides the spam label by default, you will have to either unhide it or look for the “More” link to access to other labels that are hidden. Click this link for the steps on either of these options.
Will my calendar reminders show up like Outlook does?
I'm a student and I have applications out for internships or graduate school, I am using my agnesscott.edu email address. If you change my email address, How will I receive my emails?
For six months there will be redirects in place to forward your email to the new email address (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please be sure that once the migration has completed that you update those applications.
What’s Google Apps?
Google Apps is a suite of web-based messaging and collaboration applications that Google hosts on their own servers. Google provides these applications as a "service," rather than as software to download and install. To access these applications, you simply use a web browser on a computer that's connected to the Internet.
For a quick overview of Google Apps and why we’re so excited about the switch, check out this video!
Why did you choose Google Apps?
We looked for an email and calendar solution that could provide with us the following benefits:
- Lower infrastructure costs -- All your email will be stored securely on Google's servers, so we'll no longer need to maintain email servers on campus
- Ability to consolidate our platforms -- We can eliminate redundancy by moving all of our email and calendar platforms to Google Apps
- Lower support costs -- Because Google hosts the email and calendar services, there's no more email client software to maintain on your computer
- Innovative solutions --We can leverage the ongoing creative and technical solutions of the Google Apps platform to provide everyone with powerful, easy-to-use tools for getting your work done
- Highly scalable environment --With Google Apps, our email capacity will grow automatically as we grow, and we'll avoid the complexity of maintaining internal systems
- Access to services from anywhere, anytime --A key benefit of the Google-hosted solution is that we can access email, contacts, and calendar from any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection, anywhere in the world
- More collaboration features --With Google's next-generation applications, we can collaborate with colleagues more easily and efficiently than ever before
- Instant messaging --Because Google Apps includes Google Talk, we can now implement an instant messaging system for Agnes Scott
What exactly does Google Apps include?
Will my email address change?
Are you migrating my email and calendar to Google Apps?
Yes, we'll migrate all of your email messages, calendar events, and personal contacts from Microsoft Exchange to Google Apps.
Do I need to do anything after I get my Google Apps account?
Will you provide assistance during the transition?
To get you up to speed quickly, we'll provide plenty of documentation and training resources. Members of the IT team will also be available to answer your questions or resolve any issues you encounter.
How much time will it take to set up and learn how to use Google Apps?
Can I reply to or forward just a single message in a conversation?
Note however, if you reply to “just” the last message it will contain all the other threads because those threads are a part of that message. You can delete the parts of the message you want deleted OR go to the original message, click Reply, and insert just those recipients you want to receive that email.
Will I be able to use desktop email client applications, like the desktop versions of Outlook and Entourage?
How do I access my email if Google is down?
You can install the offline Chrome app, which will give you access to your stored email during any time Google experiences a service outage. Instructions forthcoming.
Gmail Offline Mail (must use Google Chrome with this link)
Here are the instructions on how to download, setup and use Gmail Offline Mail. Again you MUST use Google Chrome for download, setup, install and usage.
Will I get Google ads?
- By default, advertisements are turned off in Google Apps for Education.
- When students graduate and move into the Alumnae email services, advertisements will be enabled.
How do you remove an app from Google Chrome?
- Click the new tab at the top of your browser window to open the New Tab page.
- Click the Apps icon on the upper lefthand side of the window.
- Grab the App icon that you want to remove.
- Drag the App icon to the lower righthand corner.
- Remove from chrome, trash will appear.
- Drop the icon in the trash.
- The app’s icon is removed from the New Tab page.
Will my task list be transferred?
When you have threaded messages (conversation view on) and you reply to a thread, there’s a sent message as well as a copy in the thread. If you delete the sent message from Sent Mail folder, does it also remove it from the thread?
Yes, you can delete one or more messages in a conversation as follows:
- Open the conversation and expand the message you want to delete.
- Open the drop-menu at the top-right of the message.
- Select Delete this message.
When I double click on an ICS file attached to an email, that still causes Outlook to open and process the appointment. What do I need to do to get it into my Google Calendar instead?
There is no need to double click on the ICS file, Gmail will automatically add the event to your Google Calendar. If you send an invitation via Gmail to someone who uses Outlook, once the invite is opened it will automatically add the invite to the Outlook calendar too.
Where can I find and download Google Chrome?
Where can I find Gmail search operators or query words?
When I send an email to a group list, I no longer receive a copy.
When you send mail to any group or mailing list you subscribe to, Gmail automatically skips your inbox and archives the message to save you time and prevent clutter. The message will appear in your inbox if someone responds to it or if there is an error delivering the message. If you'd like to view your message, you can find it in Sent Mail or All Mail.