At the End of Your Program of Study
Exchange or Visiting Students
If you hold a J-1 visa, you may stay in the United States legally until the end date of your DS-2019 form. If you do not request an extension prior to the end date of the DS-2019 form, you must prepare for your final departure from the United States no later than 30 days after the completion date of your program or after the expiration date on your DS-2019 form, whichever comes first.
Upon the completion of your degree requirements, you have 60 days within which you must prepare for your final departure from the United States unless you have been issued a new I-20 to:
- Pursue graduate studies at another institution;
- Enroll in Year Five at Agnes Scott; or
- Engage in Optional Practical Training
If you complete your degree requirements in December but wish to stay in the United States until May to attend commencement exercises, you may do so by:
- Engaging in authorized Optional Practical Training;
- Changing your visa status to B-1 (Tourist); or
- Enrolling in Year Five at Agnes Scott (You will need a new I-20). Remember that if you enroll in Year Five, you lose eligibility for Optional Practical Training.