Special Events Coordinator
Special Events Coordinator
Department: Office of Special Events and Community Relations
Reports To: Director, Special Events and Community Relations
Status: 12 month
Job Grade: 6
GENERAL SUMMARY: Generates special events revenue for the college by identifying new and maintaining existing client relationships to generate special events revenue for the college within the guidelines of any applicable laws, and college and departmental policies and procedures. Works on all aspects of special events planning and execution and provides high-end client relations/customer service. Reports to the director of special events and community relations and works closely with colleagues in college advancement, student life and business and finance as well as outside vendors and the general public.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Functions as sales representative and event hospitality/project manager on behalf of the college and in support of the department’s annual revenue generation goals and marketing plan.
2. Under the supervision of the director for special events and community relations, oversees all aspects of client contract negotiation and event space booking, including creating timelines, maintaining files, completing preparations for special events and providing onsite management and oversight.
3. Manages client billing and revenue collection, maintains financial transaction records, including invoices and check requests, and assists with budgets and monthly reports.
4. Assists with coordination of a minimum of 50 events per year.
5. Anticipates project needs, discerns work priorities, and meets deadlines with little supervision. Schedules appointments and coordinates site visits by clients and schedules all confirmed special events on the campus calendar.
6. Proposes new ideas to improve event planning and implementation to ensure that all aspects of the clients’ experiences with Agnes Scott are positive.
7. Serves as liaison with on-campus colleagues in catering, facilities and public safety as well as with external vendors.
8. Assists the director in maintaining collegial relationships with campus offices and departments, especially the Office of Alumnae Relations and Office of Religious Life to ensure that rental space is used appropriately and coordinated with other scheduled college uses and events.
Education: BA/BS in business, hospitality, event management or tourism preferred or related occupational field of study.
Experience: At least 3 years experience in a recent sales position and at least 2 years experience in coordinating special events.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule and evening and weekend hours are required.
- Ability to build relationships with internal and external customers.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, proof reading skills, and speaking.
- Possess outstanding customer service skills and professional demeanor.
- Ability to manage administration and logistics in support of one director in a busy special events environment.
- Possess excellent organizational, administrative, problem-solving and negotiation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage multiple projects and work assignments.
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone.
- Ability to take initiative and accomplish projects with little supervision.
- Superior customer service ethic and high expectations for quality.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and excellent time management skills.
- Proficient using the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and mail merges; email and web searches.
- Travel required occasionally from office to areas within metro Atlanta.
Intermittent sitting, standing, stooping, crouching, walking, and moving of light objects. work is performed in an office as well as various locations across the 100.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Reference the position title of Special Events Coordinator on the Subject line and e-mail a resume, letter of interest, professional references and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is posted until filled. Due to the overwhelming response to the college's staff openings we are unable to respond personally to individual telephone inquiries. No faxed submissions please.
Agnes Scott does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression or any other characteristic protected by law in its employment. Agnes Scott has a strong commitment to diversity and urges members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Posted on: 11/19/2013